Dr. and Mrs. William Meredith Brown Home
The home of Dr. and Mrs. William Meredith Brown was constructed in 1944. The present owners, J. J. Hollars and wife Amy Hollars, are the fourth family to own the home.
The featured home this week is located at 106 Daugherty Street here in Livingston, and is presently owned by J.J. Hollars and wife Amy Hollars, the fourth family to have ownership. Along with three children, Peter, Caroline, and Aubrey, the Hollars family also includes a dog named Daisy, and a cat named Callie.
A look back at the history of the house shows that Dr. William Meredith Brown and wife Ann (Nevans) Brown had the home built. A deed conveying property in May of 1944 shows a transaction from E. D. White to Dr. W.M. Brown for the property believed to be where the home is located. A second deed in May of 1944 from Mrs. J.S. Fleming to Dr. and Mrs. Brown also conveyed an additional nearby lot. Prior to the construction of the Daugherty Street home, Dr. and Mrs. Brown lived in a dwelling that sat where Winningham Hardware is now located. The Browns bought that home from Bedford Arnold and wife in September of 1928.
According to information found in Robert Eldridge and wife Mary
Eldridge book on the History of Overton County, Dr. Brown, a native of
Hilham, was born in 1882 and died in 1959. He was the son of George
Granville Brown and wife Mary (Phillips) Brown of Hilham. His education
included an M.D. degree in 1915 from Louisville Medical School. He also
attended Tulane University. For 9 years, he practiced medicine at Hilham,
and then moved to Livingston in 1926. He was also an optometrist. Dr.
Brown and his brother-in-law, Dr. Herman B. Nevans, purchased the Sarah
Preston Home located on Preston Street, formerly operated as a girls'
dormitory by Livingston Academy, and opened the Lady Ann Hospital in